An exciting milestone happened recently with the Hauraki District Sport & Active Recreation Plan being adopted by Hauraki District Council. ‘The Plan’ is designed to provide direction for future investment and is a focus for the Hauraki District Council, Sport Waikato and the community to prioritise opportunities for investment.
The sport and recreation sector is strong in Hauraki and there is a long tradition of providing excellent opportunities for community participation, competition, recreation and physical activity. We are indeed fortunate that the district is home to some great attractions including parks, reserves, walkways, tracks, beaches, rivers and the amazing Hauraki Rail Trail.
In a nutshell, ‘The Plan’ has:
- a strong focus on existing assets - rationalising the use of these
- addressed the changing demographic in Hauraki and the projected growth of primarily older age groups
- encouraging all stakeholders to work collaboratively and create/maintain partnerships to further improve provision and delivery
- a focus on financial sustainability especially in terms of facility solutions
- encourages sound planning and pre-feasibility for any future facilities
Sport Waikato and the Hauraki District Council wish to thank all stakeholders (clubs and schools) who completed surveys and attended feedback forums which helped contribute to the final plan. Year one priority projects have already started.