Media and Communications Advisor, Basketball New Zealand
Basketball New Zealand (BBNZ) is offering a rare opportunity to step into the sport industry during time of exciting growth for basketball, as New Zealand’s fastest growing major sport.
It’s a great time to join BBNZ; our national teams are about to begin new Olympic cycles on the world stage, while the local leagues, competitions and tournaments are getting bigger each year as our participation numbers go through the roof and commercial partnerships increase their support.
To assist with this growth, BBNZ is seeking a Marketing and Communications Advisor – someone with a passion for basketball, who can write and also manage our social media accounts inside out.
Your primary role during the season will be to cover the Sal’s NBL men’s competition; this includes writing game reports, helping with media releases, keeping the website up-to-date, managing our social media accounts, interviewing players, working with NBL teams and more.
You will be working unusual hours at certain times of the year, as you work with the livestream company, create content, get game results out to media and fans and help promote the Sal’s NBL and the games. But we also look after our team, and this time would be covered by time in lieu and flexible hours during the season.
As the driving force behind the website and social media account especially, you’ll ensure these platforms are kept up-to-date and regarded as the go-to source for Sal’s NBL news. Social media will be your bread and butter; we want to build fan engagement, keep people up-to-date with all things basketball and celebrate our successes online.
At other times during the year, you might be helping with our events. Basketball New Zealand runs tournaments, camps and functions throughout the year – you’ll be there to help spread the word and make them look good. You’ll also proactively tell stories and supply them to media, help deliver a quarterly newsletter, assist with the Annual Report and occasionally work with sponsors.
The role will include:
• Writing media releases and game reports
• Monitoring and posting on BBNZ social media channels
• Creating content and helping to administer the BBNZ and NZNBL websites
• Marketing, including assisting with and coordinating the production of campaign materials
• Assisting in the coordination and promotion of events and campaigns
• Constructing and editing EDMs
• Helping to monitor and report on analytics including web traffic and social media
• Carrying out administrative tasks as required
• Positively representing BBNZ to internal and external stakeholders.
• BBNZ is a growing and friendly team. At times our projects need ‘all hands to the pump’, which means you will be self-motivated and eagerly pitch-in to help.
• This role reports to the GM Communications, but you will work closely with the Leagues GM and the rest of the BBNZ team.
Experience and qualifications:
Ideally you will have a marketing and communications or media qualification, or previous experience in these areas. You might be 1-3 years into your current role.
• Writing and editing
• Proficient with social media including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
• Basic knowledge of basketball
• Ability to work in a small high-performing team
• Strong time management skills
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Pleasant, friendly and engaging
• Self-motivated and great work ethic.
Additional useful skills:
• Graphic design skills including knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign
• Experience in PR, journalism or social media (not essential but an advantage)
• Videography and/or photography experience (not essential but an advantage)
• Knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
• Knowledge of Googles Ads
• Presentation skills.
The role will be based in Wellington.
To apply send your CV and a cover letter on why you are a great fit for this role. Applications close 5pm Friday 10 December. Applications and further enquiries can be emailed to email@example.com